Typography Poster

Screen Shot 2015-03-14 at 8.18.32 PM

Print/Illustration

2015

Individual Project

About the Project

For this project, we were assigned to create a type specimen poster using the design principles that we have learned thus far pertaining to document hierarchy and design. We each were designated a typeface. As you can gather from above, I was assigned the typeface Garamond. The only requirement was that the following content had to be included:

  • Name of the typeface
  • Name of the typeface designer
  • Year typeface was designed
  • History of the typeface
  • Full character set of the typeface
  • Quote/Tagline relevant to the typeface

I chose to use Adobe Illustrator CS6 to make my poster.

The final poster was printed on a 10 x 16 inch piece of cardstock.

Project Process

Let’s start from the very beginning. Here was my very first iteration.

Screen Shot 2015-03-14 at 8.50.11 PM

So this is what I designed at the very start. Originally, I was going more for a visually fun piece and wasn’t giving much thought into what Garamond embodied as a typeface. After I got some feedback from my teachers, I decided to go into a different direction. I did some research and learned that Garamond is prized as being one of the most readable and legible typefaces in print applications, so I decided to think more about how I could most effectively portray that through my poster. I thought more about the formatting of print applications and newspapers and thought it would be cool if I could pull some of those elements (hierarchy, spacing, readability, columns) and incorporate them into my work. Here is what I came up with after trying to experiment a bit.

one

Although I knew it was important that I try new explorations and new ideas, I really thought the “g” of the Garamond font to be very characteristic, so that is why I made sure to keep that a part of almost every iteration. It really accentuates the unique curvature of the typeface. However, in the iteration above, although I wanted the “Gg” to be the focal point of the piece, I didn’t want it to create the cramped feel that it does above by being a larger sized font, so I continued to explore.

two

I decided to decrease the size of the “Gg” and work more towards creating a “print-like document look”. However, I thought I could improve upon the use of the white space of the poster. Here again, although the spacing improved, I still didn’t think it most effectively took advantage of the white space.

three

This iteration definitely created a cleaner feel because of the white space that was used. Again, an improvement, but I still wasn’t fond of the arrangement of the items. I thought the placement of the character set to be the most difficult to figure out.

four

Here’s another iteration that I came up with after trying to work with the spacing and arranging of the content a bit more.

five

As I mentioned above, I really enjoyed the “Gg” of the typeface, so here, instead of having it at the foreground of the piece, I used it as a watermark. Although I thought this use of the watermark to be an effective means of creating a more formal and more professional document, I still was not a fan of the arrangement and spacing of things. In the iteration above, I feel like I was reverting back to “crowding” of the first couple iterations.

1.                                                                                 2.

two of final                              one of final

After I considered the many ideas and elements that I thought to be most effective and ineffective, I decided to choose from the two iterations above to be my final draft. After I received some final feedback from my teachers, I decided to go with the second iteration.

one of final

They suggested that I incorporate a bit of color to spice up the piece a bit, so I chose to highlight the creator of the typeface with a red. I also decided to convert the white background into an off-white background to create more of a “scroll-like” feel to the poster in order to further emphasize the formality of the piece.

Final Critique

The final critique went really well. The critiques were generally very complimentary. In order to improve upon my design, one student suggested that I increase the size of the margins, so that the block of text describing the typeface’s history becomes more readable and more appealing from a distance. As with the first critique, it was very informative and insightful 🙂

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s